Thursday, October 29, 2009

My First Ever Published Snowboarding photo from 1999


Okay so of late I have been working on finally putting together a photo website which was been well overdue. Over the years I have amassed a crapload of photos and back in the days of shooting slides my filing system was pretty ordinary to say the least. The whole process has brought back a lot of memories I must say.

I came across this copy of Australian Snowboarding News which was a part of the Snowy Times a free publication distributed throughout the Jindabyne region. The photo is of Stu Johnstone taken at Perisher's Pipe at some point in July 1999. Stu was one of the most stylish riders around at the time and one of the few people who could boost out of the tiny pipe. Stu was really the first established sponsored rider I had ever worked with and I ended up shooting quite a bit with Stu over the years. If your reading this Stu thanks for giving me the opportunity..

I recall being so stoked to see my first snowboarding photo actually published in print but being not so stoked to find out the Snowy Times doesn't pay for photographic contributions despite being well supported by advertising. Needless to say this was my first and last shot published in Snowy Times who still to this day refuse to pay for photos.

Below is the original uncropped shot as well as another shot from the same day. I still quite like the shot, it looks as though Stu is waving hello to the camera. What's funny about the shot is all the people at the top of the pipe waiting to drop in. Today when people drop into the Perisher pipe they generally hike us far up the hill as possible. Rumours abound that the pipe is being repositioned next year....I'll believe it when I see it

This was ten years ago so was obviously shot on slide film, so excuse the slide scan. Click on the shots to enlarge them...


No comments:

Post a Comment